Friday, November 7, 2008

With effective communication skills, selling ice to an Eskimo doesn’t seem too Herculean anymore.

I was looking through all my six blog posts which I have written before embarking on the task of penning down my reflections for ES2007s. Indeed, I have learnt and gained an insight on the different aspects of communication where I have often neglected and paid little attention to before taking up this course.

From my first blog post, I mentioned the importance of the different aspects of communication which i still hold fast to them. However, after attending the entire course, it has made these somewhat abstract points into something real.

I was first brought into the world of understanding body language,

where more often than not, how one truly feels is often communicated in this way.

Body Language- The one thing capable of betraying your mouth.

I managed to put these skills to the test where I helped to resolve a conflict between two friends of mine by encouraging both of my friends to learn to put themselves in one another shoes. And it worked !!
My friends who are currently studying in NUS told me that they would like to take this course next semester too. ( A good news for you, Brad (: )

This course has also highlighted to me the importance of written communication, where in many situations like applying for a job, where our written communication is often assessed before the assessment of our abilities. Learning to adopt a direct/indirect approach in conveying good/bad news message aids me in writing a letter that will be interpreted correctly by the reader and helps in improving interpersonal relationship.

Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.

Indeed, it was an enriching 48 hours spent learning the “why and how” of communication. I believe I will continue to learn to communicate effectively as I await different situations that will put my skills to the test and to help further refine it.




Short note:

To my classmates and Brad : Thank you all so much !!






11 comments:

woensusanto said...

Hi,

This is a well structured post and I like the italised sentences. It really great that you are applying the skills that we have learned in class to your everyday life. I'm sure the skills you learn here would be especially useful when you start teaching in school.

Best of luck in handling all the little angles and devils. Cheers

WS

Zhiyi said...

Hey Hannah, I like your statement about body language. I immediately thought of myself saying 'I'm not hungry', and my stomach making funny noises, in the process giving myself away. I am also thinking how I would sell ice to an Eskimo. Through packaging like how the Japanese do it? How about flavoured ice like ice kachang? If you are just talking about plain ice, that would be a Herculean task. Maybe I would throw in a free ball-juggling performance. Haha thanks for getting me thinking.

Chun Siang said...

Hannah, good to hear from you that you have resolved the conflict between your friends.

I wonder if Brad will leave NUS next year for his teaching somewhere near his hometown ? (:p I am not very sure about this)

Anyway, I strongly agree that ES2007S has impacted us positively in our communicating skills.

Thanks Brad for giving us a memorable learning experience from this ES2007S. Thank you Hannah for sharing your success of what you have learnt from ES2007S.

qwergo said...

I like your post Hannah! It really makes me feel how wonderful communication is and how much you enjoyed the lessons! And I especially like the little anecdotes highlighted in red, how appropriate! And finally, thanks a lot for being my blogging buddy! See after reading your post I'm so excited that I put so many exclaimation marks haha. Take care and see you around :)

Wei Chung

Benjamin Ng said...

Hey Hannah, it was really interesting to read about how you have taken what we’ve learnt in this module a step further by mediating between your friends. More so than most, this module has definitely taught us all skills that will be applicable and observable in every day situations. I am certain the skills you have acquired will put you in good stead for your ambition to be a teacher. Great job and keep working hard!

vijani said...

Dear Hannah...
You have given a very productive description about what you gained from this course. I think its a well written post.

By the way..I enjoyed being your blogging buddy so much that I am sure that I will miss it..:)

Good luck Dear...:)

2D 2012 said...

To Susanto,Zhiyi,Chun Siang and Ben : Hello guys !!!

Same sentiments too!! I really like the ancedotes as each put across the importance of different aspect of communication.

The skills acquired from this module has indeed given us a basic foundation on how to make use of this skills learnt to help imporve interpersonal relationships as communication is the basic of all close relationships.

Hopefully, our learning will not stop here when this module ends, but our skills will continue to refined as we interact and faced different circumstances (:

2D 2012 said...

To : Wei Chung.

I am really glad that my last post brightened up your day (:

You're welcome. It was such a pleasure being your buddy, because I learnt a lot from reading and editing your posts too.

2D 2012 said...

To Vijani.

Awww... that was such a sweet note. Thank you so much for putting in so much effort in editing my blog posts and the comments you made in enabling me to improve.

It's been a joy knowing you as well (:

Brad Blackstone said...

I really like this post, Hannah! It's organized around those key points, which you explain very admirably, and it's quite insightful.

I'm glad that you were even able to help a couple friends out, and that, for some reason, you see our discussion in this class as having been influential in that regard. Wow!

I'm happy that your friends may even sign up for ES2007S. I just hope that, if I am their instructor, I can live up to the expectations. Are you sure that they won't be put off by a bald middle-aged white man who forces them to blog on weekends? Ouch!

On a more serious note, I really appreciate all your contributions in class this term, Hannah, both verbal and nonverbal. As I was talking (usually too much!), it was often reassuring for me to look in your direction and see your bright smile. That made it far too easy to talk even more!

Thank you also for your written communications, in the blog and off. This has been an enriching experience for all of us, and I have you guys to thank for that!

All the best as you go forward with your goals and dreams! Let's stay in touch!

Anonymous said...

部落格很棒唷~ 支持你歐^^..................................................................